Carrier screen online course
Sonic Genetics offers an online course for patients who are considering reproductive carrier screening.
Supporting Doctors to support your patients
Reproductive carrier screening to identify couples at high risk of having a child with a serious recessive disorder is becoming an essential part of prenatal planning. The offer of information about testing is now recommended as part of mainstream care.
The complexities of carrier screening, including the many aspects of testing and outcomes, place considerable demands on the ability of most patients to absorb the information necessary for informed decision-making. The requirement to provide informed consent can present a significant challenge for busy practitioners.
To help you inform and support your patients, the carrier screen course for patients provides the essential information your patient needs.
This course is designed to supplement, rather than replace, the face-to-face consultation that you will have with your patient.
Accessing the course– clinician registration
Once registered, you will receive a unique doctor code by email. This gives access to the course content and a manager dashboard where you can review your patients’ registrations and follow their progress through the course.
For further assistance email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessing the course– patient registration
Your patient will require:
A course referral form that gives the patient information about the course and the website link.
Your unique doctor code that is sent to you when you register.
The code for this course, which is RCS.
Important information to consider when referring patients to this course
- Personalised information, specific to each patient, is not requested nor provided.
This course provides general information about reproductive carrier screening. It does not adapt the information to particular issues of family history or specific concerns that may be relevant for patients. In particular, a family history that increases the risk of your patient being a carrier for a recessive disorder should be addressed in its own right; a reproductive carrier screen may not be the most appropriate test to clarify the patient’s reproductive risk for that disorder.
- In learning about reproductive carrier screening, patients are encouraged to share this course with their reproductive partner.
- Please remind your patients that this course is provided in the context of a discussion that you have had, or will have, with them. If access to this resource is shared with people other than a reproductive partner, it is not being used in the context of a professional discussion. We caution against the use of this resource in such a way.
The course seeks to inform the patient and guide them in identifying their own preferences, rather than directing them to a particular conclusion. At the end of the course, patients are able to print out their preferences to discuss with you.
The carrier screen patient course is delivered in six modules:
Module 1. What is carrier screening?
- Carrier screening basics
- Recessive genetic conditions
- Screening for recessive genetic conditions
Module 3. Learn about the four most common recessive conditions
- Cystic fibrosis
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Fragile X
Module 5. Doing the test
- Getting a carrier screen
- Practical questions about carrier screening
Module 2. Genetics basics carriers
- Recessive condition statistics
- If I am a carrier for an autosomal recessive condition, what is the risk to our child?
- If a woman is a carrier for an X-linked condition, what is the risk to her child?
Module 4. Understanding your choices
- Carrier screening accuracy and results
- Being a carrier
- If I have a normal carrier screen, what is the chance that I am still a carrier?
- Before doing the test
Module 6. Making a decision
- What is my next step? (decision tool)
- Completing the course