Sonic Genetics offers post-test telephone-based genetic counselling free-of-charge to those who received a high probability NIPT Result.
To be eligible for this service:
- Results from the non-invasive prenatal test (NIPT) must show a high probability result for one of the conditions screened.
- The test must have been performed through Sonic Genetics.
- Sonic Healthcare or one of their subsidiaries should have been paid directly for the test.
How the service works:
Genetic counselling is provided as a clinical service on the basis of a referral from the patient’s doctor. A patient’s doctor is notified about the availability of the genetic counselling service for their patient from the testing laboratory. If a patient wishes to self-refer for genetic counselling, they could approach a genetic counselling provider directly; details of such services can be found here.
If you would like to refer a couple for genetic counselling:
- Obtain the couple’s consent and complete a referral form. Ensure that a contact phone number for the couple as well as laboratory ID numbers and/or copies of the NIPT report are included.
- Fax the referral form to us on 1800 961 766. We will conﬁrm receipt of this referral and forward it to an independent accredited genetic counsellor who will contact your patient directly within three business days.
- The counsellor will send a report directly to the requesting doctor after the counselling session or advise if the couple declined the offer or were unavailable.
This service is limited to one counselling session and addresses informational and psychological matters relating to non-invasive prenatal testing results only. This offer is not available to patients who are outside Australia at the time counselling is required.
This service does not replace the typical medical management for patients who receive a high probability result. A patient’s referring doctor remains responsible for ensuring that the appropriate follow up testing is arranged as required.
Referrals for free genetic counselling for non-invasive prenatal testing must be received within two months of the latest Sonic Genetics report being issued. To access genetic counselling outside this period, or for genetic counselling for other purposes, patients can be directly referred to a genetic counselling provider. A list of potential providers can be found here.