Post-test genetic counselling for high probability NIPT results
Sonic Genetics offers free telephone-based genetic counselling to patients who have received a high probability NIPT result.
To be eligible for this service:
- The NIPT report must show a “high probability” result for one of the conditions screened.
- The test must have been performed through Sonic Genetics within the preceding two months
- Sonic Healthcare or one of its subsidiaries must have been paid directly for the test.
If a patient is not eligible for this service, or wishes to self-refer for genetic counselling, she can approach a genetic counselling provider directly; details of such services can be found here.
How the service works:
Genetic counselling is provided as a clinical service on the basis of a referral from the patient’s doctor. The testing laboratory will notify the patient’s doctor that the patient is eligible for this free service.
If you would like to refer an eligible patient for genetic counselling:
- Obtain her consent and complete a referral form. Please ensure that a contact phone number for the patient as well as laboratory ID numbers and/or copies of the NIPT report are included.
- Fax the referral form to us on 1800 961 766. We will conﬁrm receipt of this referral. An accredited genetic counsellor will contact your patient directly within three business days.
- The counsellor will send a report directly to the requesting doctor after the counselling session or advise if the patient declined the offer of counselling or was unavailable.
This service is limited to one counselling session and addresses informational and psychological matters relating to NIPT results only. This offer is not available to patients who are outside Australia at the time counselling is required.
This service does not replace the typical medical management for patients who receive a “high probability” result. A patient’s referring doctor remains responsible for continuing to manage the pregnancy.
Referrals for free genetic counselling after NIPT must be received within two months of the latest Sonic Genetics NIPT report being issued. To access genetic counselling outside this period, or for genetic counselling for other purposes, patients can be directly referred to a genetic counselling provider. A list of potential providers can be found here.